What three local businesses do you most love? Or put another way, what 3 local, independent businesses would you most miss if they disappeared? The Buy Local Santa Monica Committee has partnered with The 3/50 Project to launch the Buy Local Santa Monica 3/50 Project Challenge. We invite you to stop into your favorite local businesses, say hello and support them. Then tell us about it! Your purchases keep them in business. Their business supports the community. It’s a win-win for everyone.
To enter the Buy Local Santa Monica 3/50 Challenge, go to: www.buylocalsantamonica.com/project350.
Entrants will have a chance to win some great prizes from local businesses as an added incentive! Each month, a lucky blogger will be selected at random and awarded a prize donated from one of our Buy Local SM businesses and will get their picture featured in the local press with a local business. It’s truly a win-win for everyone! The featured prize for January is a pair of tickets to an upcoming Morgan-Wixson Mainstage Show (value up to $46)! The drawing will take place on January 31, 2011 at 5 p.m.
Here are some facts about the value of buying local:
- If 20% of Santa Monica’s residents committed to spending $50 every month at Santa Monica businesses, it would pump over $9.6 million into the local economy every year.
- For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditure (Civic Economics, 2008 study). As we’ve found already, our Buy Local Santa Monica businesses are committed to purchasing from other local businesses and they invest in Santa Monica community. They support local charities, they donate proceeds to local schools, they provide staff to help with beach clean ups and they commit to employing SM residents·
- Local businesses can adapt to their customers needs quickly. Can’t find what you need, tell them and chances are they’ll find it for you quickly. Now that’s service.
- Buying local supports a sustainable Santa Monica. It reduces our carbon footprint. We are lucky here in Santa Monica. Isn’t it great to enjoy our lovely weather and not be stuck in a car on the freeway? We can walk, ride our bikes or take the bus to every commercial district within the City. Local businesses also play their part in reducing the carbon footprint, by purchasing locally, employing local residents, recycling, etc.
- And, buying local doesn’t have to be expensive. Small businesses are competitive. They must be in order to survive this economic climate. Value for money is the priority for all. Many of our Buy Local businesses reward their loyal customers, and we’ve got some of the best happy hours in town! When you consider that your local spending goes so much farther than just buying a product or service, it makes it all the more worthwhile! Spending locally supports our community. For a list of participating Buy Local businesses, visit: www.buylocalsantamonica.com
About Buy Local Santa Monica
Buy Local Santa Monica was created by representatives of the Santa Monica business community and the City of Santa Monica to support local businesses and raise awareness of the community, economic and environmental benefits of choosing local first. The Buy Local SM program was started in 2009. To date there are over 260 local businesses participating in the campaign. For more info: www.buylocalsantamonica.com
About The 3/50 Project :
The idea is to commit $50 each month to locally owned businesses, total. Maybe that means rethinking where you currently invest your money, opting to pick up that birthday card or pair of jeans in a locally owned business instead of the big box you’ve been going to. Or maybe it means eating out once a month because you realize slamming the brakes on all spending stalls economic recovery. It’s just that simple. For more info on The 3/50 Project: http://the350project.net/home.html